Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Visiting

Language study is progressing which means I need to do some practicing.  One way to practice is to visit my neighbors with my language teacher.  I'm able to do the greetings, introductions, and tell a little bit about my family.  They have some trouble saying my name so some time in the future I will get a Senegalese name that will be much easier for them to pronounce.  Yesterday, I was introduced to a grandfather and sat down to visit.  He asked about my husband.  When I told him that my husband was dead, he offered himself to me.  I thanked him but turned him down.  I've been told that this may happen quite often while I'm here.  Don't worry; I have no intentions of coming home with a husband!  After the proposal, the visit went pretty well.  I mostly sat there and listened to the others talk to see if I could figure out any words they were saying.  One young girl handed me a baby boy that was very happy.  I would coo at him and he would laugh and smile.  When the visit concluded, the women called me their friend and said they would visit me sometime.  I've got a long way to go before I can converse with anyone but progress is being made.

1 comment:

  1. Well maybe if they offer you enough cows, you might want to think about an offer. (hahahaha) I am no one talk about this subject, since I did marry like that (sans cows).

    ReplyDelete