Monday, January 16, 2012

Friends

As my days in Fatick increase so does the number of my friends.  As I pass my neighbor's little boutique I always stop to greet her.  She is helping to coach me in my Wolof for which I'm grateful.  I love going to the market to see the ladies that have become my friends.  Last week, as I sat on a bench at T's stall, she would tell the ladies who stopped to make purchases to speak to me so I could practice my Wolof.  Even though she doesn't speak any English, she would coach me on what to say.  She is very special to me because she gave me her last name.  So my Senegalese name is Saly Sarr (pronounced sah-ly sahr).  I'm also developing a friendship with my next-door neighbor.  This evening I walked over to pay her a visit.  She was sitting on their balcony making ataya (tea) so I was served some when it was ready.  Fortunately, this was like the third round of tea so it wasn't too strong but it was very sweet.  She had put mint in it as well so it tasted like real sweet spearmint.  It's very hot and served in a little shot glass so you have to be careful not to burn your tongue when you drink it.  Communication is very minimal since I still don't know much language but the great thing about friends is you don't always need words.  Just being together can be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment