Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tabaski

Yesterday was Tabaski, a M*sl*m holiday.  This is the day that they kill a sheep in memory of God providing the ram for Abraham when he went to sacrifice his son (only they think it was Ishmael instead of Isaac).  After killing the sheep, they then cook it.  They keep a third for themselves to eat, share a third with friends, and then share a third with the poor.  During this day they dress up and visit.  I was included in visiting a family that lives down the street from me.  Not long after we arrived the food was set out for eating.  They made a special platter for us to sit around.  We were given a piece of bread and proceded to pull off some of the meat, pick up some of the vegetables and sauce with the bread, and eat.  You do all this using just your right hand (no utensils).  This was my first time to eat sheep meat and I actually liked it.  After eating we sat around in chairs and visited with the family.  I could understand a few things that were said even with my limited language.  The university student that invited us could speak English so I was able to talk to her some.  They served us soh, a sweet milk drink, while we relaxed.  After a while Momy prepared ataya (very strong tea with lots of sugar).  
Another aspect of Tabaski is that the children dress up in their finest and go around asking for candy or small coins (similar to our Halloween without the costumes).  I purchased a bag of candy going back to my house so I would be ready for visitors.  I left my outside gate open so the children would come in.  Once they discovered I had candy, then more children came.  One boy kept coming asking for more candy indicating that he was giving them to children across the street.  After he made several visits, I became a little suspicious.  One of the boys indicated "no" with his hands so I sent him on his way.  He came back with one of his arms tucked inside of his shirt as a disguise (but it didn't work).  Then he came back without his top shirt just wearing a white t-shirt.  That didn't work either.  You have to give him credit for persistence, though!  Since it was getting dark I decided to just turn off the light and close the door.  Maybe next year I'll have a better understanding of the language and can communicate with the children as they come to my door.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Sherrill, I remember you teaching us about Lottie Moon in GAs. I sat there mesmerized, listening to stories about Lottie, the "cookie lady". How neat that years later, I again am mesmerized by stories of another missionary lady in a foreign country. Maybe you'll be known as the "candy lady".? Thank you for being obedient to His will and also for allowing us to all share your journey.

    Privileged to hear your mission stories - then and now,
    Patricia Hughes

    ReplyDelete