Friday, November 4, 2011

Cooking

Not only is M a good language teacher, she is also a good cook.  I decided that it would be good to put the two together.  Last week during language time, we went to the market to purchase the items I needed to make yassa (an onion sauce that you eat over rice) with chicken.  Since I was having visitors that Thursday evening, we made a lot.  There was so much left that we had it for lunch on Friday, I ate it for my Sunday dinner and my Monday lunch.  This week I decided that we would make mafeh (a beef/peanut sauce eaten over rice).  So, back to the market we go.  I love going to market and have made friends with a few of the ladies.  They help me practice my language and let me even help them sell some of their items.  I purchased my items, including going to the butcher for the beef, and we hopped on a horse cart to return home.  M came back late yesterday afternoon and showed me how to make mafeh.  This time we didn't cook as much so I won't have to eat it for 4 days.  It was really good and not as time-consuming to make as the yassa was.  This morning I turned the tables and showed M how to make a meatloaf.  (I was going to do it Wednesday night but couldn't figure out how to light the gas oven!)  I had canned English peas and a cheesey pasta dish to go along with my meatloaf.   We enjoyed our lunch together and now she has gone home for an afternoon nap.  I might take a nap myself except for all the pounding on my roof where men are building an apartment.  At least I can sit and rest my brain from language study.

No comments:

Post a Comment