Monday, June 10, 2013

Reflections of Senegal


     For the past 20 months I have lived in Senegal.  I can remember my first thoughts as I drove from Dakar to Fatick during my first days after arriving.  I saw these funny looking trees, lots of brown sand, and very flat land.  To say I was not very impressed is an understatement.  It didn't take too long for my opinion to change, though.  As I settled into my new life in Fatick, I began to see beauty in my surroundings.

Sunrise over the inland waterway in Fatick

Beautiful sunsets

Storm clouds during rainy season after months of no rain

Double rainbow after a rain

     Though I lived in a small town, it was not very quiet.  There were the constant bleating of the sheep and goats, chanting from the mosques five times a day, and the beat of drums and "singing" during times of celebration.



     There were also some inconveniences such as flooding during rainy season and dust storms during dry season.



     In spite of experiencing a little discomfort with the heat, dust, and flooding, the best and most beautiful part of my time in Senegal was the people.  They are a very friendly and hospitable people and will take the time to talk to you whether in passing on the street, riding on the horse cart, or shopping in the market.  Taking time to greet and talk is something we could do more of here in the US.  As I would walk down the street or ride a horse cart, the children would call out "Toubab" (which means white person).  It made you feel like a celebrity at first and then became a little annoying after hearing it for months.  However, the children loved to greet you, shake your hand, and find out your name.






     Though my time in Senegal has come to an end, I will never forget my time there.  A little piece of my heart remains in Senegal.  I hope and pray that I am a better person for having lived there.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that when I visited there with you I was so impressed at how friendly the people were. They truly seemed to enjoy meeting you and always seemed to have a smile for you. I'm fortunate to have gotten to meet some of your friends there.

    ReplyDelete