Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Break Day #2


     Our big adventure to Lac Rose (Pink Lake) to ride the camels began with us going to the Shell Station to meet our driver at 9:00 am.  He finally arrived around 10:00 am (this is Africa).  I had read in the travel book that there was no easy way to get to Lac Rose.  That was correct.  I don't think I would have ever found my way on my own.  When the book said that there is no sign but you will turn left at the corner where there are some ladies selling vegetables under a tree, that was also correct.  The first thing we did when we arrived at Lac Rose was head to the camels to take our ride.  It took two guys to help me get up on that thing.  As we started our ride I gained a greater appreciation for the Wise Men who made their long journey to see baby Jesus.  Our ride only lasted 30 minutes but I was ready for it to end after 5 minutes!  I had just thought to myself that I hope we don't have to get off this camel until we get back when our guide stopped us on the beach and proceeded to have our camels get down so we could get off.  It was nice to walk around on the beach and rest my rear end for a few minutes, though.  The little guy managed to get me back on the camel without too much trouble.  When we finally made it back to the camel "depot," the owner just made it quite simple getting me off the camel.  He just picked me up in his arms and lifted me down to the ground.  (Sorry I don't have a picture of that!)

Off we go!

Atlantic Ocean

Taking a rest

Me and my camel

Our guide

Camel "depot"

     After our exciting camel ride we headed to the restaurant for a delicious lunch of poulet yassa (chicken, rice, and an onion sauce).  We sat right on the edge of the lake so we could enjoy looking at the pink water while we ate.  I was so excited that the lake was actually pink because there are times when it isn't very pink.  Once we finished eating we decided to stick our feet in the pink water.

Poulet Yassa

Lac Rose (Pink Lake)

Got my feet wet in Lac Rose

     To finish off our day, we decided that Italian was what we wanted for dinner.  We got a taxi (not a crazy one today) and headed downtown to Cafe de Rome.  It did not disappoint us; we had the best lasagne!  Since we were downtown and only a few blocks away, it was only logical that we go to Nice Cream for dessert.  Now we are ready for our day #3:  shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment