Saturday, December 1, 2012

Field Trip


     Since Melody and Ethan had both studied about animals and plants, I thought it would be a great idea to take a field trip.  Our first thought was to go to Bandia where they could see some animals unique to Africa that used to live in this area.  After finding out the cost, we decided to look for another option for a field trip.  Kim found this place called Domaine de Nianing that was just a little south of Mbour.  Not only did it have a nature walk where we could see various small animals plus many flowers and plants indigenous to Senegal, but it also had a hotel on the beach with a swimming pool.  We could pay a fee that allowed us to walk through the nature park, eat a buffet lunch, swim in the pool, and enjoy the beach.  We arrived around 11:00 on Friday morning which allowed us plenty of time to walk through the nature park before eating lunch at 1:30.  The peacefulness of the place as well as its beauty and sounds of birds were a refreshing break from the classroom.  Below are some pictures of some of the animals and birds that we were able to see.

Hyena
Crocodile
Monitor Lizard
Tortoise 
Kingfisher
Peacock
Flamingo

Crested Crane (head)
Crested Crane
     Besides seeing the animals, we saw many beautiful flowers and plants.  Since I'm not very good at identifying the types of flowers and plants I will just let you enjoy the pictures.  If you are curious as to the type, then you can look them up for yourself.

Huge Baobab Tree






Weaver birds' nests
      The buffet lunch was amazing!  We had a salad area with all kinds of salads as well as oysters and shrimp.  After the salads we went to the two hot food buffets.  There was some wonderful homemade bread to go with the food.  We also had a fruit bar with cantaloupe, watermelon, and pineapple.  The meal was finished off with some delicious dessert.  After eating all that food I decided to spend my time walking the beach rather than swimming.


Fishing boat
Fishermen with their nets     
      Of course, no walk on the beach is not complete without someone approaching you.  This guy saw me taking photographs so he walked up and began a conversation.  He then wanted me to take his picture with his fish.  He continued to walk with me down the beach.  When I decided it was time to turn around he pointed out his village where he had a shop.  I tried to get away but he insisted that I just come "look" at his shop.  I was barefoot so I told him that I needed shoes.  That was not a problem.  He went up to some of his friends and came back with a pair of flip flops for me to wear.  Fortunately, I did not have my purse with me so I was could not buy anything from his shop.  I returned the flip flops and headed back to the hotel.






No comments:

Post a Comment