Saturday, February 11, 2012

Company!

     February 5 was my daughter's birthday.  It was also the day she and Amy arrived in Senegal to visit me for a few days.  We started the visit off with a visit to Goree Island where they were able learn all about the slaves last place in Africa before being shipped to other countries.  After a quick lunch our driver picked us up to take us to Fatick.  We made it in record time, 2 hours and 20 minutes!  Amy and Andrea slept the whole time since they had been up over 24 hours.
     I let the girls sleep late on Monday morning.  Around 10:00 we got on a horse cart and headed to the market.  I had fun introducing them to all my friends as I made a few purchases for our evening meal.  Monday night was the birthday dinner consisting of stew, green beans, cornbread muffins, and birthday cake.  The Forsythes joined us for the celebration.
     We took a trip out to a village on Tuesday.  They had brought a chain saw with them for T so he got the chance to demonstrate it by cutting up a dead tree.  Many people in the village had to come out and watch the tree being cut into smaller pieces.  We came back and sat around and visited with some of the villagers and Amy and Andrea got to hold two precious babies.  There were two schools in the village that we were able to visit and Andrea gave them each a stapler and staples that she had brought with her.
   
Andrea and Amy holding the babies
Village school
     On Wednesday I drove the three of us to Saly, my first excursion driving the car on a trip.  We were able to do a little shopping before meeting some friends for lunch.  Of course, we had to walk on the beach and let them get their feet wet before we headed back to Fatick.  It was too cold for swimming.
   
On the beach in Saly
The Atlantic Ocean   
     Thursday morning started off with a visit to the hospital in Fatick.  They got to see the labor and delivery room as well as see a newborn baby.  Afterward we drove out to another school where Andrea presented the headmaster with some staplers and staples.  As we visited two of the classrooms, we were amazed at how disciplined the children were.  Every time we entered a room, the children stood up and said, "Bonjour, Madam."  One class even sang us a song for entertainment.

Labor & Delivery, Fatick Hospital
Elementary class
      Unfortunately, Friday arrived.  After our lunch the driver picked us up to take us back to Dakar.  We went to my friends' apartment to leave the luggage before heading out to do a little shopping and then go eat supper at a restaurant by the ocean.  All too quickly it was 10:15 and time to drive them to the airport.  After a tearful good-bye, I went back to the apartment to spend the night.  My driver picked me up at 1:00 and drove me back to Fatick.  I wish Andrea and Amy could have stayed longer but I'm so thankful for the short time we had together.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like yall had a great time and got to see quite a bit. So, so happy Andrea and friend got to come over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! :) It sounds like you guys had a blast!

    ReplyDelete