Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vermicel

     One day when the team from Illinois was here, we had vermicel for lunch.  I decided right then that this was my favorite Senegalse meal.  The decision was made that my language teacher and I would head to the market this week and she would teach me how to make it.
     So yesterday morning we made our trip to the market to purchase all the ingredients for vermicel.  I love going to the market and have made friends with some of the ladies who are sellers.  Our routine is to shop for a few items and then stop by Tening's stall and sit down for a visit.  I sit on the stool next to Isootay, who sells fish.  I love sitting there greeting the women who come to buy items to take home to fix their meal for the day.  It gives me a chance to practice my language as well as practice the ministry of presence.  Sometimes I even get to help sell some items or I will make change.  Yesterday I got to help shell peas.  I felt quite at home sitting there shelling peas.  One lady even stopped to buy some of the peas that I had shelled!  I drew a lot of smiles from the ladies.
     This morning was set aside as the time to cook vermicel so we would have it for lunch.  It's not that difficult to make so I should be able to cook it for myself when I no longer have my teacher.  Vermicel is short, very thin noodles (thinner than angel hair and steamed rather than cooked in water) that is topped with a sauce made of onions, garlic, pepper, and small pieces of beef.  I have to admit that I overate at lunch because it was so good.  There are leftovers so I can enjoy it for at least two more meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment