Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Taamxarit

     Taamxarit (pronounced tom-ha-reet) is the first day of the M*sl*m new year.  The night before Taamxarit, is a special time for the children.  They will go from house to house, beating drums and dancing, expecting to receive a treat from you.  This all begins around 9:00 pm and lasts way into the night so don't plan on going to bed early.  I was prepared for my visitors with a large bag of suckers (50 count).  They would crowd around my door as I opened it to give them their treat.  They were very polite, thanking me as each one received their treat.  I think a few made return visits so I tried to communicate as best I could that they could only get one treat.
     As a result of the late night, today was a holiday from work and school.  Some of the children who live on my street came to see me this morning while my language teacher was here.  She helped me talk to them for a few minutes.  They returned for a visit this afternoon.  Since I had a small bag of suckers left, I decided to give each of them one.  BIG MISTAKE!  It wasn't long before I had more visitors.  I gave out all the suckers plus the last little bit of hard candy that I had.  I let them know that all the candy was gone so they left.  However, a few of the girls returned wanting to come in for a visit and teach me how to dance.  They are very cute and make me wish I could talk to them.  I've really got to learn Wolof!

No comments:

Post a Comment