Thursday, November 1, 2012

Friend's Visit


     During my years at Mobile College (now the University of Mobile), I was blessed with friends.  Many of those friends are still a part of my life even though we are separated by many miles.  One of those dear friends actually took the time and expense to fly all the way across the ocean to spend a week with me in Senegal.  I had so much fun showing her around Dakar the weekend she arrived as well as letting her experience my life in Fatick.



     One of our friends from college happened to be in Senegal on a mission trip the week before Chris' arrival.  He and his team were returning to Dakar to spend the night the day of Chris' arrival.  We were able to get together with John and his team for dinner on that Saturday night.  This was the first time for Chris to see John since our days at Mobile College.  How amazing for God to orchestrate the timing of both Chris' and John's visits so we could have a chance to get totether in Senegal!


   
     Of course, I had to let Chris experience a ride on the horse cart while I showed her around my town.    Kim also treated her to a real Senegalese meal.  Even though we didn't sit on the floor to eat, at least she got to experience "eating around the bowl."


     I made her "earn" her room and board by doing art projects with the kids.  Since Kim and I are both "art challenged" and Chris majored in art at college, I figured we could take advantage of a wonderful opportunity.  Chris did several fun art projects with the kids each afternoon when we finished our lessons.

Decorated clip boards

Painting rocks

Ethan's rocks

Melody's rocks

Funny portraits
  Since Chris had to leave on Friday afternoon to head back to Dakar, we had our Friday pizza night on Thursday.  Since it was cooler on the roof, it turned out to be a roof-top pizza picnic.

       
     What a blessing it was to have Chris come to visit; not just for my sake but also for the kids that I teach.  They will remember the fun they had that week for a long time.   Sometimes, living overseas you feel like you have been forgotten by friends back home.   Chris' visit was a huge encouragement and morale boost.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for your hospitality! I had so much fun meeting everyone and really enjoyed my time with my dear dear friend..you! What a blessing it was to me to have the opportunity to visit with you and to meet our special friends. Thank you my friend. Love you.

    ReplyDelete